Gold Coast Whale Watch +
Marine Research Adventure.
From $85.00 Duration: 2.5 Hours (approx.) Location: Runaway Bay, QLD
This 2.5h adventure is an absolute personalised experience on a small vessel with a maximum of 8 participants. The spectators can look forward to closer and longer encounters as humpback whales do not feel intimated by a smaller vessel. The outer tubes of our semi inflatable vessel are only 50cm above the water surface which even allows to submerge your water proof camera on passing whales for some great underwater shots.
Whilst no vessel is allowed to approach whales closer than 100m, our experience shows that the whales are usually approaching us whilst our engines are turned off and the vessel drifts through the water. For this very reason, our vessel is frequently chartered by research groups to conduct field surveys and sampling.
For pictures and videos, visit our Facebook page.
- Sightings gurantueed
- Small group with maximum of 8 participants
- Hotel transfers available
- Closer encounters possible
- Knowledgeable staff
- Participate in research activities (optional)
- Educational components
- Waterproof jackets provided
- Snacks and hot drinks provided
- Departs twice daily on most days (see calendar)
- Great savings of for group bookings (30%)
You will also (optional) participate in research activities such as filling in survey data sheets, using the hydrophone to listen to underwater sounds and we further aim to collect skin samples. Each participant will receive a print brochure with a summary of information about humpback whales and what options there are to get involved. Alternatively, you can simply sit back, relax, take photos enjoy the experience.
- Twice daily at 9am and 12pm (see calendar)
- Chose your own departure time for groups of 4 or more
Please note that departure times vary. Please check our calendar for the latest times and availability. From there, you can also book and pay online.
What to bring
- SunSmart clothes (hat etc.)
- Drinking water (no glass)
- Waterproof bag for phones etc.
- Camera (splash-proof cameras recommended)
- Seasickness medication if needed (take well before departure)
Booking and Payment
- Select number of people
- Select date
- Select time
- Hit the book now button
- Enter your personal details
- Enter promo code or voucher code if you have one
- Check-out and receive booking confirmation via email
- Child age is 10 to 16 years of age
- Meet at the Marina near the main office
- Boat Safety Briefing
- Activity Briefing
- Depart for 2.5h whale watch trip
- Return to Marina
Meeting Point and Directions
- Meet us at Runaway Bay Marina near the Marina Office right next to the boat ramp.
Your confirmation email and reminder emails will include a map and a hyperlink for directions.
- Catch the 711 Surfside Bus from Southport and exit at Runaway Bay Marina.
Please be on time as we have to depart on time.
Please make sure that you read the terms and conditions on the check-out page, including our cancellation policy.