beginner & advanced
our dive Courses
LEARN TO SCUBA DIVE
Private course from $1550
Duration: 3 or 4 Days (approx.)
Fall in love with the ocean. See the ocean with your own eyes and start showcasing the beauty of our underwater world. Learn to scuba dive with PADI and inspire your family and friends to follow your lead. You are the future ocean.
THE GOLD COAST’S BEST VALUE LEARN TO DIVE PACKAGE
Learning to scuba dive is, without a doubt, a life changing experience that will introduce you to the magic of the underwater world and certify you to explore this ocean planet.
Our goal is to teach you in a relaxed and proficient manner, to become safe and confident divers who will be inspired to become advocates for the preservation of our seas.
The PADI Open Water Diver course at Gold Coast Dive Adventures is, by far, the most thorough and best value for money learn-to-dive package on the Gold Coast. The course consists of three days of PADI training and includes two days of offshore diving with one dive on the infamous, “Wonder Reef”, onboard one of our three custom-built dive vessels.
We offer two variations on the PADI Open Water Diver course; the standard OWD course and our OWD+ option. We always highly recommend the PADI OWD+ which gives you an additional day of diving on the boat with a value of $195 for just $100 extra; as well as $60 worth of free dive gear hire every time you dive with us, for up to three months after completing your course. The extra day of diving will help you refine your skills as a certified diver and allows you more time below the surface to really discover what Gold Coast diving has to offer, with no requirement to complete further skills (unless you want your instructor to teach you bubble-ring magic!).
Be cautious of other companies, who operate shorter, cheaper courses and have larger groups. We believe high quality dive training is extremely important to get you to love diving as much as we do and really feel confident in your dive skills. We also keep our groups to a maximum of four, so you have as much of your expert instructor’s attention as you need.
The course is structured over three days but we encourage you to opt-in for our four-day PADI Open Water Diver+ program. Both courses certify you to dive with a buddy to a maximum depth of 18m/60ft anywhere in the world, without the necessity of diving with a Divemaster or an instructor.
Study starts at home with PADI’s online eLearning theory component. Once booked onto the course you will be sent a link to access the material which you can then complete at your own pace prior to joining us for the practical sessions.
On day one you will commence your course in the pool for confined water training. We will give you as much time as you need to learn essential dive skills and will coach you until you are comfortable and familiar with your dive equipment.
On the following two days you will complete four Open Water dives on one of our many amazing Gold Coast Reefs & Wrecks. All of our dives are off of one of our three custom built dive vessels.
We also offer private instruction for our Open Water Diver courses for one-on-one learning or any sized group you desire. Get in touch with us for more information regarding this.
- Get certified to a depth of 18m
- Get started today with PADI eLearning as soon as you sign up
- Course runs over 3 days. With the PADI Open Water Diver+ Course, you get an additional 1 day of fun diving to practice and embed your skills and you get 3 months of free gear rental when diving with us
Day 1 – will include equipment set up, Knowledge review and dive-skill practice in a heated swimming pool.
Day 2 – (Runaway Bay Marina) This will be your first offshore dives heading to one of our local reefs &/or wrecks.
Day 3 – (Runaway Bay Marina) will be your final day of formal training, completing 2 more Open Water Dives and gaining PADI Open Water certified status!!
Day 4 – (optional) (Runaway Bay Marina) will get you offshore to dive the reefs and wrecks with us on a double-dive boat trip. Offshore dive site options include the wreck of the Scottish Prince, Palm Beach Reef and many more depending on weather conditions.
You can continue your training to deeper depths and learn even more useful skills with the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course (30m) as soon as you are certified. Ask us for a special bundle deal!
STANDARD COURSE INCLUSIONS
- Small group training (1 – 5 students)
- PADI eLearning, diver’s logbook & certification card
- Pool/confined water training
- 4 open water training dives in the ocean
- All dive equipment included for the course
OPEN WATER DIVER+ COURSE INCLUSIONS
Same inclusions as the standard OWD course; plus…
- Two additional certified fun dives on our dive boat to our local Reefs+Wrecks sites
- Free dive gear hire for three months on completion of your course and when diving our dive boat charters
- Minimum 10 years of age
- Able to swim
- Be of good physical and mental health
- No medical is needed unless you are over 45 years of age or you have a YES response upon your medical deceleration
- Check our calendar for available start dates (usually Tuesdays and Saturdays)
- Wednesday courses are completed on 3 consecutive days
- Saturday courses are completed part-time over 2 weekends
- Alternative dates are possible. Email or call us to discuss.
- Cost for dive medical in case you need one
- Transport from your accommodation to the dive centres
WHERE DO YOU DIVE
- We conduct Pool Training in a nearby swim centre
- Your 4 offshore boat dives are conducted at one of our amazing local shipwrecks or reefs depending on conditions
BEFORE YOU BOOK
- Check the calendar for available dates and book in!
- Courses and subsequent dives may need to be rescheduled due to weather conditions
- All eLearning must be completed before the first day of training, or if you want, we can customise the course to be taught in our classroom
- To reschedule your first course day due to sickness, 3 days’ notice is required and a medical certificate. Any other cancellation reasons require 5 days’ notice
SCUBA REFRESHER PROGRAM
Duration: 1 day
Location: Runaway Bay
Our scuba refresher program includes a private dive instructor and 2 boat dives. It is designed for rusty divers, wanting to get their confidence back.
This experience includes all dive equipment. An optional upgrade to include online dive theory is available but not mandatory. We have designed this program for rusty divers that have had their last dive between 1 and 5 years. Email us if you have been dry for longer than this.
HOW THIS PROGRAM WORKS
We will get you to arrive at the shop early where you will meet your private instructor. Before we get on the boat your private instructor will run you over all of the key features of your dive equipment and how to set it up, complete a theory review and make sure you are comfortable with anything you need before we head out on the boat for a double dive reef and wreck trip. Whilst on the boat your instructor will run you through some much-needed skills, give you loads of pointers, and will dive side by side with you for your 2 dives giving you as much help and guidance as you need.
WHAT DO YOU GET
- A private PADI instructor for your dives
- A double boast dive to our reefs and wrecks
- All dive equipment included
- PADI ReActivate Dive Theory Online Access
- Replacement PADI Certification Card
This course is available any day our double dive reef and wreck trips are running. Simply book in early to make sure we have an instructor free for you.
ADVANCED OPEN WATER DIVER
Duration: 3 Days (approx.)
Becoming a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver is not really a course, it is an adventure program designed to advance your diving, so you can start right after earning your PADI Open Water Diver certification. The course helps building confidence and expands your scuba skills through different Adventure Dives (5 in total) including a deep dive to 30m.
This 2 day program starts with prior online learning in your own time, followed by 5 ocean dives. This course is completed over two days. Generally we would start with a Wondereef double dive. Wondereef is an amazing underwater playground to hone in your buoyancy skills. Followed by a triple dive trip to North Stradbroke Island. Upon completion, you will earn the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Qualification.
We usually schedule one to two Advanced courses each month, to see our availability please check the Calender at the bottom of the page. If there is not a suitable date already organised please get in contact with us as we are usually happy to put up extra courses whenever we can fit it into our schedule.
WHERE DO WE DIVE?
Depending on the trip schedule on a specific weekend and weather conditions, we will complete your course at several sites such as:
- The Wreck of the Scottish Prince
- Palm Beach Reef (famous in the summertime for its resident population of leopard sharks!)
- Flat rock, Manta bommie or shag Rock on North Stradbroke Island (these are probably the most famous sites in south east Queensland)
BASIC COURSE OUTLINE*
Once enrolled, we will email you your online learning access details within 24h of your booking. The coursework can be completed in 3-5hours continues study but we recommend to spread it out over a few days. There is no exam however, quizzes and knowledge reviews need to be completed for each chapter.
Day 1 – Double Boat Dive 6:30am to 1pm
- Peak performance buoyancyAdventure Dive
- Underwater NavigationAdventure Dive
Day 2 – Triple Boat Dive 6:00am to 4:00pm
- Deep Adventure Dive
- Drift Adventure Dive
- Naturalist or Fish ID Adventure Dive
*) The above is a guide only and is subject to change due to whether conditions and trip logistics.
- PADI Online Learning
- 5 Training Dives
- Tanks and weights
- Snacks and hot soup on surface intervals
- PADI Advanced Open Water Certification
- Transfers between accommodation
- All inclusive course package – $795
- Hire gear deal (late rate) – $50 per day
RESCUE DIVER COURSE
Duration: 3 Days
Location: Runaway Bay
Scuba divers describe the PADI Rescue Diver course as the most challenging, yet most rewarding course they’ve ever taken. Why? Because you learn to prevent and manage problems in the water, and become more confident in your skills as a diver, knowing that you can help others if needed. Our course runs over three days, one day in the pool to practice skills and then two days of diving from one of our custom built dive vessels.
During the course, you learn to become both a better diver as well as a better buddy by practicing problem solving skills until they become second nature. Plus, the course is just fun – it’s serious, but still allows for lots of laughter in between the focused learning. Commencement dates are flexible. Email us beforehand to discuss.
What will you learn?
The PADI Rescue Diver course prepares you to deal with dive emergencies, minor and major, using a variety of techniques. Through knowledge development and rescue exercises, you learn what to look for and how to respond. During rescue scenarios, you put into practice your knowledge and skills. Topics include:
- Self rescue
- Recognizing and managing stress in other divers
- Emergency management and equipment
- Rescuing panicked divers
- Rescuing unresponsive divers
How does the course work?
- You can start right now by enrolling which will give you your PADI eLearning login.
- The course is conducted over 3 days which are generally consecutive days.
- Following on from your course we will take you on a free double dive tour with us as part of the package.
Where do I dive?
- The rescue skill practice will be conducted in a swimming pool on the Gold Coast
- The Open Water session will be conducted at one of our many offshore sites depending on our trip schedule on any particular day.
What is the basic Itinerary of the course?
- Enrol in your course and receive the online learning access pass or hard copy manual with DVD.
- Complete all knowledge reviews and agree on training dates with your instructors
- Day 1 – learn and practice rescue skills
- Day 2 and 3 – put all your learnings into practice with real life rescue scenarios.
Where from here once I am certified?
- Once certified it is vital to keep diving. We run dive trips nearly every day that the weather allows us to, which will give you the opportunity to build up your confidence and to stay in touch with your instructor.
- Browse our trips on our Dive Trips Page..
- Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or equivalent
- Have a current CPR and First Aid certificate at time of certification.
- PADI Rescue certification card
- PADI course materials
- Pool entries
- All gear hire for training dives
- Food and Drinks
- Equipment Hire other than tanks and weights
- First Aid and CPR Certificate
Duration: 90 Days (approx.)
Location: Runaway Bay
The PADI Divemaster course is your first level of professional training. We strive to ensure that every Divemaster certified by us is trained well beyond the standards and possesses the necessary skills to kickstart their career within the industry with ease. We will go above and beyond to ensure that you have experience in all areas of dive shop operations.
Please note that we do not have a large Divemaster program, we like to keep our divemaster training intimate and only take four interns at one time. To apply please either call, email us or come out for a dive and we discuss getting you into our program.
We believe that working within the maritime industry, especially in diving, is one of the most rewarding and incredible jobs in the world. We are constantly astounded by how lucky we are to work on the ocean and witness the incredible sights of nature we get to see on a daily basis. Our aim is to get you ready for one of the most rewarding jobs in the world with the best training possible.
By working closely with our highly experienced PADI Instructors, you will fine-tune your diving and your in water rescue skills ensuring that you are able to easily anticipate, solve and act on problems. You will gain extensive dive theory knowledge as well as supervision, leadership and teaching skills so you can become a role model to divers everywhere.
On top of gaining experience in all things diving. We aim to expose you to all aspects that are involved in a diving operation, such as seamanship skills, management skills, Sales skills and much more. We all love to teach, so we encourage you to ask questions and get involved in as much as you can because we are more than happy to teach you anything that we know.
If you are interested in other fields within the maritime industry, such as gaining sea time towards your captains certifications, deckhand certifications or anything else, please let us know as we have been working in the industry for a long time and would love to help in any way we can to kickstart your career in the diving industry and make your transition as easy as possible.
As a Divemaster Trainee with us, we offer you access to our entire range of PADI specialty courses at discounted rates, we definitely recommend completing your Deep, Enriched Air and Navigation specialty courses, but ultimately any that you are interested in completing with us will help you as a dive professional. You will also be entitled to large discounts off of retail equipment and we will assist you in getting the right gear for you.
What Does the internship involve?
As a Divemaster Trainee with us, you will assist with the day-to-day operations of our dive vessels and assist us in and around the dive shop. We also aim for our Dive Master Trainees to assist on as many dive courses as possible. You will have the opportunity to assist on any courses that we are running it just depends on your schedule as to how many you would like to join.
A lot of our days will be spent out on the boat. Initially whilst on the boat you will help us out by ensuring that our customers are having the most enjoyable and safe diving experience possible. Whilst shadowing one of our instructors, you will gain confidence underwater and be able to observe how divemaster duties should safely be performed. Over time as you build your confidence you will get the opportunity to act as an in-water dive guide working closely with our instructors which will further raise your confidence levels.
When working on our boats as a divemaster trainee, whether you are acting as a Dive Supervisor, In-Water Dive Guide, Surface Watch, Assistant Instructor or Deck Hand you will be operating under strict compliance with The Ocean Wanderers Workplace Health and Safety Manual, The PADI Standards as well as the Queensland Code of Practice.
A portion of the divemaster course occurs off of the boat as well. Other aspects of the divemaster course includes dive theory, which will be broken down into online study as well as presentations and theory days. Some of the theory involved includes Physics, Physiology, Equipment and RDP Tables.
PADI Dive masters also need to be confident briefing, navigation, demonstrating skills circuits, water skills exercises, rescue exercises and much more, so we will also spend many days in the pool or at wave break island practicing these skills as well.
Our experienced Instructors and skippers will provide you with all of the support and coaching you need to get you out into the industry as a confident and safe Divemaster.
We operate under a best industry practice Quality Management System. Therefore, you will learn the business of diving the way it should be. We do not short-cut this course so you should not be under any time pressure.
What will you learn?
Our PADI Divemaster course not only teaches you to be a leader and take charge of dive activities, but also teaches you many other essential skills that will help you stand out as an outstanding Divemaster to any prospective employer. Through knowledge development sessions, water skills exercises, workshops and hands-on practical assessments, you develop the skills to organize and direct a variety of scuba diving activities.
Topics and practical workshops include:
- The role and characteristics of the PADI Divemaster
- Supervising dive activities and assisting with student divers
- Diver safety and risk management
- Divemaster conducted programs and specialised skills
- Business of diving and your career
- Awareness of the dive environment
- Dive set up and management
- Mapping an open water dive site
- Conducting dive briefings
- Organising a search and recovery project and a deep dive
- Conducting a scuba review and skin diver course
- Assisting with Discover Scuba Diving programs
- General seamanship programs
- Boat handling programs
What do you need to enrol?
- Be a friendly and healthy person with a professional attitude, capable to act as a role model
- Be a qualified PADI Rescue Diver (if you do not have this yet don’t worry, we can start from whatever level you are at and can assist in completing any extra courses that you need)
- Have at least 40 dives (if you do not have this yet do not worry, just give us a call and we can help you get your dives up before we commence the program)
- Possess current Oxygen Provider Certificate
- Possess current First Aid and CPR Certificate
What do I get?
You will become part of the extended Gold Coast Dive Adventures family, receive high quality and customised training, receive discounts on all of our products and most importantly dive with us for FREE even after you are certified (conditions apply). The training will be part-time and generally run over a couple of months. We do not like to rush this course. At the end you will be certified as a PADI Divemaster.
You receive massive discounts off of our entire range of PADI Dive Courses as a Divemaster Trainee. We encourage our dive master trainees to complete at least a couple specialty courses like Enriched air and Navigation as we believe these are important skills to have as a dive professional.
Cost, Booking and Payment
- To take part of the internship, we require a $500 deposit for your PADI Materials with the remaining to be paid before completion of the course
- We will be as flexible as possible around your schedule: however, we ask that you please be patient and flexible with us. Our offshore trips are very much at the mercy of the ocean. If the weather doesn’t permit us to go offshore, we will spend days in the classroom or in the pool practicing your divemaster skills
- Please note that this program is by application only. We have a very small divemaster program so we can keep our training as thorough as possible. Please either call or email us so we can have a chat about the program
- Any prerequisite diving certifications up to Rescue Diver
- PADI Membership fees (once certified)
- Padi Insurance (once certified)
- Travel costs to and from dive departure locations
- Selected dive trips may attract an additional charter fee (discounted) however it is not essential to participate in these types of dives
Terms and Conditions
eLearning fees are non refundable. You are able to transfer your eLearning to an other PADI dive centre at any time.
PADI Speciality Courses
Gold Coast Dive Adventures offers a range of PADI specialities that are run regularly throughout the year. These speciality courses teach divers new techniques and give you the tools to enhance your underwater exploration. With each PADI specialty course, our highly experienced PADI instructors will take you on an offshore journey to apply your new skills. Whether you want to enhance your skills to include nitrox or simply to dive deeper, as an offshore dive company, we will take you on an adventure to learn and affect these new skills so you feel confident to use them at the end of the course.
Although run regularly throughout the year, these courses are also run by request. Simply ring the team at Gold Coast Dive Adventures to book your course in.
All our PADI dive specialities include everything you need to get your new certification including eLearning, dive equipment and of course, your offshore dive adventure. You can also add a speciality, such as Enriched Air (Nitrox), to any of our dive trips, enabling you to enhance your skills while you are on one of our amazing dive adventures.
Costs vary depending on the speciality you select. We also have package deals for those of you that are speciality junkies.
To provide examples of just some of the specialities we run on a regular basis:
- Enriched Air
- Deep Diver
- Drift Diver
- Night Diver
- Underwater Navigator
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Aware – Coral Reef Conservation